CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Left of Barney

Dear all,

Our spectacular autumn ended abruptly.  We are officially into the grey and wet days of an English winter. Heating costs in this country are criminal and this beautiful, old, drafty stone house loses its charm in the winter.  Last year, our heating bills were close to mortgage payments.  Still, I have an optimism that warms my heart.

This is the secret of my warm heart:  the gift of an Obama win.  I am skipping through the cold rain with joy in every step. 

Last week, I sat with A on my lap and tearfully watched the Obamas vote. The next morning, we gathered as a family at 4:00 to watch the election results. It was history in the making and we were grateful to share the moment with the kids.

I cannot tell you how many people here stayed up all night or woke early to watch results of our election. I’d never lose sleep over election results France.  The American election matters to so many people around the world.  I had no idea just how seriously the world views it.  This time, the United States did not let them down. 

Most of you know that I am a bit liberal.  Much more liberal than J (Who, although a staunch democrat, seems to inch closer to The Right when I am not looking.  At one point last spring, I could have sworn I caught a glimpse of J moon walking like Michael Jackson, to The Right.  He crept back and our marriage absorbed his indiscretion.).   J reminds me that even Barney the Big Purple Dinosaur, who shares EVERYTHING, has to look left to see me. (For that reason, J opposed the children watching Barney-‘Too much sharing isn’t natural,’ he would quip.). 

Obama’s victory touched me deeply.

No matter what your party affiliation, there is no denying that Obama’s win has sparked an energy around the world.  I do hope that our great nation comes together to tackle all that troubles it.  Living abroad does not allow for the luxury of taking your country for granted.  By not being there, I am reminded every day of just how wonderful the United States of America is.

With love from England,

T-Ann

3 comments:

Maggie said...

Yeah! I was hoping to hear your reaction to the election! There were some beautiful moments last week-like when my dad, who hasn't voted for a Dem since Johnson, told me that Obama was his guy or when I struck up a conversation at Rosie's Park District class on election night with an African American mom who was ordering dinner out that night because, "This is a night to celebrate." We looked in each others eyes and both teared up.
Of course, our joy was tempered by the bus driver who made the 1st-3rd graders on Hank's bus sit according to who they wanted to be president and then proceeded to tell them that Obama was friends with the guys who flew airplanes into the Twin Towers. And then, when I shared this outrage with a coworked the next day, she replied, "Well, it's kind of true, you know." I almost choked on my turkey sandwich.
So we're not out of the woods yet. Go Barney!

CJP said...

how homesick were you seeing all this take place in Grant Park?? I was half crying with joy and half with sadness for not being able to be in Chicago for such an amazing moment in our history. We are already planning a big Inagural Weekend party!!!

OhTheJoys said...

Still crying a week later. It is so amazing, so incredible, so great. We elected the smart guy!!!!